This article will explain what you have to do to start WordPress Hosting. It does not matter if you know WordPress already or you are really new to it. And I promise you: every person is able to be the proud owner of a WordPress website!
The different approaches for WordPress Hosting
Depending on your needs, budget and skills, you have to choose a place where you can run your WordPress website. This options will show you the best approach:
- You want 1 site, have no skills, no budget and no demands: WordPress.com
- You want 1 site, have some skills, some budget and more demands: Website host with PHP and MySQL
- You want more sites, have more skills, more budget and more demands: VPS
- You want more sites, have some skills, enough budget and more demands: Managed VPS with WordPress Install
I promised you that every person can own a WordPress website. When you want one site and have no skills, no budget and no demands, WordPress.Com is your solution. WordPress.Com is free, but you cannot add your own plugins and themes, some ads can be displayed and your website will run under the WordPress.com domain (for example: http://yourname.wordpress.com)
If you want to start a website on WordPress.com, go to WordPress.com, click ‘Get Started’ and fill-in the form.
If you want one site and have some skills, some bugdet en some demands, a WordPress Hosting contract is something for you. I have selected 3 options for you. They all are very complete webhosts which offers a cheap but potential solutions. You can run a lot of Content management systems here, including WordPress. It contains a simple WordPress setup and a free domain name for one year
- Best for individuals: BlueHost.com; starts at $ 3.95 per month
- Best for businesses: InMotionHosting.com; starts at $ 4.89 per month
- Cheapest solution: Arvixe.com; starts at $ 2.80 per month
If you want more sites, have more skills, more budget and more demands, you can use a Virtual Private System (VPS) that you will manage yourself. This is a virtualized server which is completely yours to use and can be configured in every way you want. Of course you’ll need knowledge of a lot of Web Server stuff like Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP, Security, Backups etc.
- Cheap but scalable solution: DreamHost.com (Click ‘Servers’, ‘Virtual Private Server’); starts at $ 15 per month
- Most complete and scalable solution: VPS.Net (Click ‘Cloud Sites’); starts at $ 20 per month
Managed VPS with WordPress Install
If you want more sites, have some skills, enough budget and more demands, you can use a managed Virtual Private System (VPS). This is a virtualized server which is completely yours to use but is managed by the hosting company. It keeps it up to date, keeps it secure and it executes difficult tasks for you. I have to say: this is the most expensive option;
- Most complete and flexible solution: VPS.Net (Click ‘Cloud-Apps’, ‘WordPress Hosting’); Starts at $ 53 per month
- Flexible solution that needs some skills: WPWebHost.com (Using ‘Rockstar Plan’); Starts at $ 44.95 per month